Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Prayer



Recently I’ve had a few people snicker at me because of my prayer philosophy. Of course, the conversations never started with prayer, they started because we were discussing how close I am to my due date (less than 3 weeks now!). Especially once I reached full term, people started saying, “She could come any day now,” to which I responded, “Well, I’m definitely ready, but I do want her to wait until after Justin has his wisdom tooth removed on the 11th, and it would be nice if she waited until after my birthday on the 13th. So anytime from the 14th on would be fine…but I’d prefer if she came by her due date on October 28th.” That’s when the snickering started. Now, don’t get me wrong, I understand that when it comes to babies being born they come when they’re going to come, regardless of their parents’ schedules or preferences. Justin and I will be thrilled when she decides to make her appearance whether she arrives in 2 days or (very possibly) 33 days. However, this view of Evie’s potential birthday stems from my philosophy on prayer.

I grew up in a family that encouraged – and practiced – prayer that was very conversational. I learned to talk to God like I talk to a friend: informally, directly, openly, honestly, and frequently – in the car, as I do the dishes, or as soon as a need or praise pops into my head. My dad often describes this as Tevye prayer – referencing the main character in the movie Fiddler on the Roof from the 1970s.  (If you haven’t seen this movie, I would absolutely recommend it, but to give you an example of Tevye’s prayers, see the YouTube links below.) This type of praying served me well as I became an adult and had to learn how to make my faith my own. A conversation-style prayer became a cornerstone in building a stronger, closer relationship with God. To clarify, I’m not saying that my prayer life is perfect or that it’s always what it should be. Like all Christians, I go through phases when I don’t always live out my faith the way I should, or when my prayer life is not as strong or as healthy as it could be.  However, my faith is always strongest when I’m talking to God in this way. Having an open conversation with my Creator that is unhindered by embarrassment about my feelings or that is not limited to a specific location or routine is often how I work out my most difficult struggles or how I celebrate my most treasured blessings. 

Along with this method of prayer is my belief on how God responds to prayer. I believe that our relationship with God is similar to our relationships with people in that it is strongest when we invest our time, our energy, and our hearts. God wants to hear from us in everything that we do, whether it’s appreciating a beautiful sunset, asking for a close parking space when it’s raining, or struggling with why something difficult or heartbreaking is happening in our lives. King David prayed with passion and fervency and often railed at God for what he considered injustices in his life. God can handle any prayers or challenges that we throw at Him because He’s bigger than all of it. Along with that, God cares about what’s happening to us, big or small, and He loves us and wants what’s best for us. There are so many verses in the Bible that tell us that God wants us to talk to Him and to ask for what we need, but here are just a few examples:

“Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.” 1 Peter 5:7

“Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.” 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

“Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened. Which of you, if your son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!” Matthew 7:7-11 

“Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they?” Matthew 6:26

Ultimately, God is going to do what He wants because He’s God, and He already knows what we need. Granted, it’s often difficult to accept when our prayers are not answered in the way we hoped, but He always answers. And even when we’re asking for things that He knows are not  in line with what’s best for us, He wants us to ask Him because that shows that we acknowledge that He is in control and we need His help. So I decided a long time ago that I’m going to ask for what I want, or as I often say “put my order in”, even if it seems silly or impossible; then I’ll trust that God will take care of me and give me what is best. 

So, here’s my prayer for today:
“Father, I want Evie to wait to come until after Justin has his wisdom tooth removed on the 11th, and it would be nice if she waited until after my birthday on the 13th. Anytime from the 14th on I’ll be eager for her to come…and I’d really prefer if she came by her due date on October 28th. And Lord, if she is late, please give me the grace to wait patiently. Amen.”

Now, let’s see what God does! ;)


Tevye’s Prayers 

Dear God (Watch the first minute)

Taking Troubles to God (Watch from 3:55 to 5:45)


No comments:

Post a Comment