Wednesday, November 20, 2013

The Never-ending Newborn Cycle



Eat, poop, sleep, eat, poop, sleep, eat, spit up, scream at Mama, poop 3 times (at least once all over something that now needs to be laundered), sleep – but not long enough for anyone else to get a good REM cycle – and repeat. Add to that some lingering soreness from delivery, soreness from learning to nurse Princess Poopypants (as her daddy often calls her), & the unexpected onset of the baby blues at the end of last week, and there are some days it’s hard to remember that this is exactly what I signed up for. I’m tired is what I’m saying. My husband is tired. 

And yet, when our sweet little girl sighs with complete contentment and snuggles into me when she finishes eating, my heart melts. I watch her with her daddy when he comes home from work and I fill with pride at the thought that I helped make him a father. I kiss the top of her head, smell that precious baby smell, and remember how utterly blessed I am to have her. I’m reminded that this newborn phase is just a short stage in her beautiful life, and it won’t last long. We’re also so fortunate to have so many wonderful people in our lives that love us and adore our baby girl. Her grandparents go out of their way to help us and take any opportunity to snuggle her. Her uncles and (especially) aunties and fawn over her, our church family has brought over meals, & the wonderful ladies at MOPS have offered encouragement, spit up clean up assistance, and breaks for me while they hold her. We are truly blessed, and even on the hardest days in the never-ending newborn cycle remembering that makes me thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment