Monday, March 11, 2013

Slow Cooker Steel Cut Apple Oats


You know those recipes that you use every single week without fail? This is one of ours and during the colder months this is in the crock pot every single week. And I don't know about you guys, but cereal is EXPENSIVE! Buying oatmeal in bulk and cooking it with your own add-ins in not only a lot cheaper but healthier too. So here's our steel cut oatmeal for you! And I'm going to use the word "recipe" loosely here, this is more of ingredient guidelines, feel free to make your own additions based on what you like or what you have in the pantry.

Slow Cooker Steel Cut Apple Oats

        2 cups steel cut oats

        2 cups milk (I use either coconut or almond)

        5 cups water (If this is too watery for you cut back to 4 cups. I make this to put right in the fridge where it will continue to thicken to the perfect consistency for us)

        3 apples

        1 banana

        1 heaping TBS milled flax seeds (optional, I use for nutritional boost)

        1 heaping TBS chia seeds (optional, I use for nutritional boost)

        ¼-½ cup coconut (optional)

         ¼-½ cup raisins/cranberries/cherries

        2 TBS sweetener, I usually use honey or maple syrup

        1 ½ tsp cinnamon

        ½ tsp pumpkin pie spice (optional)

        A good dash of salt

Note- this is enough oatmeal to last the husband, baby and myself all week. If this is just for yourself you can easily cut this recipe in half or freeze your left overs to have in another week or two.

Start by gathering up your preferred cast of characters. In my oatmeal I like to use apples (I'm pretty sure I've used every single kind Winco carries, all are delicious) banana, dried fruit of some sort, here we have dried cherries but raisins are great, coconut, milled flax seed, chia seeds, cinnamon and steel cut oats. Not pictured is water, milk, honey and cooking spray. 
 

 
 

 
 Start by chopping up your apples. Please note: I never, ever, ever peel my apples. I'd like to say it's because the peel has wonderful nutrients and adds great color, but it's probably more because I'm lazy. So chop those bad boys up, peel or no peel is up to you.


Spray your crockpot with cooking spray or rub it down with some kind of oil. DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP. You will seriously need a chisel to get the oatmeal out. Spray. Spray it good. Then, after you've oiled up your crockpot,  toss in everything but your water, milk and banana.


Next, mash up your banana with a fork. I usually like to measure out one cup of milk and mix it in with the banana and honey to really combine them. That's totally optional, I just don't really care for chunks of cooked banana in my oatmeal. And by mixing it in with the milk you honestly don't taste the banana but it adds just enough sweetness.

 

Pour your banana, milk and honey mixture over your oats and then add the rest of your milk and water.

 

Stir the whole thing up….

 

And turn it on low for 6-8 hours. I know, it’s a pretty wide range but every slow cooker is different. Mine is a cheepy one and only has low, high and warm. I can leave it for 7-8 hours and it turns out perfect every time. But if I half the recipe I usually only leave it 6-7 hours. Just check it your first time. When it’s done your oats should be cooked through and you should have some crustiness around the edges. Yummmm….


Because I make a batch to last all week I scoop out oatmeal into mason jars and top with a splash of milk and nuts. Let them cool and toss in the fridge and you have breakfast for the week! Just take off the lid, reheat and enjoy!


1 comment:

  1. Made this last night and enjoyed my breakfast immensely this morning! I added a bit of vanilla and didn't have apples so substituted with pears. I added sliced almonds as well and next time will use walnuts or pecans. I will definitely make again, it was the best thing to wake up to.

    ReplyDelete